Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stuff you should read - Comics

I`m not a reading junky - I just don`t have the time, and I`m easily distracted these days. But when I first started dating James, he introduced me to the World of Comic Books.

One of the first series I started reading was Transmetropolitan. It was written by Warren Ellis, and drawn by Darick Robertson, and is worth trying, even if you`re not really excited about being seen holding a comic book.

  

I really enjoyed it. It`s basically about a journalist in the future and the hate-on he has for just about everything. It`s well written, discusses some important, timeless issues and has a lot of swearing.

If you want something that`s a little lighter and hip with the kids (because it was just made into a movie with Michael Cera), you might want to try Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It`s about a kid in Toronto who meets a girl, falls in love with the girl and finds out that if he wants to date her, he has to defeat her 7 evil ex`s. There are other complications but I won`t ruin it for you.


I also really liked Chew. It`s actually written by a friend of James`, John Layman and drawn by Rob Guillory. The premise is a little odd, but it works - the series follows Tony Chu, an FDA agent on his adventures in a reality where eating chicken is illegal. Tony receives psychic impressions from anything he eats, which makes for some interesting plot lines.


Of course, there are a ton more, which I will dazzle you with, one post at a time. Whether or not you read my suggestions, I recommend looking into the world of comic books. I had the impression that they were all about superheroes and the X-Men; all aimed at 13 year-old boys, but the variety is pretty impressive... at the end of the day, a lot of the comic books I`ve read are just as content-heavy and mature as a book.

No comments: