Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Health and clean underwear

Over the last couple of years, with all the talk about most of the things we ingest or lather ourselves with being full of crap, I’ve been intermittently trying to improve various aspects of my general health. I have to do it in stages because we’re not loaded and health food and healthier skincare/haircare products are not cheap.
I have however found two things that are inexpensive and take a huge step in the right direction:
1. Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps: you can get them in a range of sizes. They’re great as shampoo and shower gel. They come in a liquid form which is better for your skin (the ingredient in bars that makes a bar a bar is what clogs pores). They’re so gentle you can use them on babies (but don’t get that stuff in their eyes – there are no numbing agents so your kid’ll feel it) and on your best undies.
Best of all: no preservatives, no parabens or yucky carcinogens or no weird things you can't pronounce and no fake perfumes so they don’t agitate skin conditions. Love this stuff. I save a fortune because I only need this and some conditioner rather than the 50 bottles of stuff I had before... so less plastic in my bathroom = less clutter = fewer bottles for the landfill.

2. Quinoa. Awesome stuff. Has so much goodness in one little grain you wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's also packed with protein, so if you’re not feelin’ meat, or you’re broke, this stuff is cheap and one cup is enough for 2 people. Plus, you can do literally ANYTHING to it. Add it to a fruit salad to get your protein or throw in some steamed veggies, some lemon and herbs and bob’s your uncle.

Eventually, I'd like to replace all my cosmetics and toiletries with the all or mostly natural products and most of our food products with the organic or less processed versions.

Here are a couple of articles I've picked up that you might find interesting:

Super Foods Explained
10 Simple Skincare Rules
Sugar's effect on your health

No comments: